Our Approach to Asbestos Litigation
At SWMW Law, we’re passionate about helping people harmed by asbestos. We’ve been focused on this type of law for decades, and will work tirelessly to make sure you recover the compensation you and your family deserve. Our goal is to put money in your hands as quickly as possible — for some clients, that can happen within 90 days of our first meeting with you and your family.
As soon as you hire us, our experienced attorneys, paralegals and clinical team get to work quickly, investigating how you were exposed to asbestos and reviewing your medical records. We’ll hunt down the companies that caused your illness and relentlessly prosecute your case against these defendants to ensure you are compensated fairly for your medical bills, your pain and suffering, and the time lost with your loved ones.
And because we know this is likely the only experience you’ll have working with an attorney, we’ll be sure to fully explain each step of the process and do everything we can so you can focus on your health and your family.
Successfully Helping Thousands of Families
We’re proud to say that our results speak for themselves. Over the course of our attorneys’ careers, we have fought for thousands of injured people and their families. We have negotiated tens of thousands of settlements. We have tried and won cases against billion-dollar companies. Our attorneys have worked to recover more than $500 million in compensation for hard-working people and their families.
If you think you or a loved one has mesothelioma or lung cancer due to asbestos exposure, it’s most likely the cancer was contracted by exposure in a workplace or at home. Mesothelioma can also be contracted through second–hand exposure if someone in your household unknowingly brought home asbestos fibers on their clothes or skin. Many companies that knew about the dangers of using asbestos failed to inform their clients, customers and employees that their products or premises included asbestos, or that asbestos would increase their risk of developing mesothelioma or lung cancer later in life.
We’ve compiled a list of common jobs or environments where you may have been exposed to asbestos. If you have an idea of some of the jobs or ways you may have been exposed, click here to review a more detailed list of asbestos trusts and defendants.
How We Recover Compensation You’re Owed
Our legal team will explore multiple avenues to ensure you receive maximum compensation for your particular claim. Below are the two most common ways ways we can obtain compensation for you:
Asbestos Bankruptcy Trusts
There are tens of billions of dollars in the asbestos bankruptcy trust system for people diagnosed with mesothelioma and lung cancer. Beginning in the early 1980s, some companies decided that they wanted to buy out their past and future asbestos liabilities using a little used section in the bankruptcy laws. They set up these trusts with insurance money, stocks and cash. Bankruptcy Courts throughout the US approved the trusts. Their sole purpose is to compensate people who are diagnosed with mesothelioma and lung cancer because they were exposed to that company’s asbestos products.
There are hundreds of companies that made asbestos products, used asbestos at their factories, and sold asbestos products that were used in homes across the United States. Most of these companies have already been sued many times. We know how to go after them, their insurance companies and other responsible parties to compensate you. We move quickly and decisively to file suit in the best jurisdictions for our clients’ cases. And we press hard for trial dates that can happen for our living mesothelioma clients as soon as six months from the date we request a trial. This helps ensure that we maximize your compensation.
What to Expect
From the very first time we meet until your case is settled, we’ll make sure you feel comfortable and understand each step of the process. Beyond our legal counsel, we’ll keep you informed as your case progresses, answering your calls, returning your emails and addressing any questions you have. When you choose to trust us with your case, you can expect this from our team:
- We’ll come to you, wherever you are in the U.S. at a time that’s convenient for you.
- We’ll advance all case costs and only take our payment if we successfully secure settlements or a verdict for you. You never pay anything out of pocket.
- We’ll ask you specific questions we’ve tailored to quickly and accurately identify what asbestos exposures caused your mesothelioma and what companies are responsible. You don’t need to know all the answers the first time we talk; many of our clients don’t. That’s why we’ll work with you to figure out where, when and how you were exposed to asbestos.
- We’ll investigate the specifics of your case, interviewing former coworkers and family members to best understand when and how you were exposed to asbestos.
- Using the information, knowledge and resources we’ve gathered from past mesothelioma and asbestos cases, we’ll build the strongest case we can. Our team will get to work immediately to get your case filed, usually within two weeks of our first meeting.
- We’ll provide regular updates on your case, and always answer any questions you have.
- We’ll take the trust you place in us seriously, treating you and your family with compassion and respect.
- We’ll explore the best legal argument to ensure you obtain the just compensation you deserve.